Is Disabled Veterans National Foundation Fraudulent or Just Poorly Operated?
When a charity makes the news for being dishonorable, boy, does everyone cringe. How can people accept money from hard-working donors and then squander it?
And on what? For “paying for fundraising services and doling out cheap giveaways,” explains an article in The Huffington Post.
A CNN investigation shows that the charity “has spent tens of millions on marketing services, all the while doling out massive amounts of candy, hand sanitizer bottles and many other unnecessary items to veteran aid groups.”
I checked Guidestar for the organization’s most recent Form 990 from 2010. Here’s what it says to describe its mission and activities:
To celebrate, commemorate, promote, and recognize the work of men and women in service.”
To raise awareness of the conditions affecting America’s veterans, to address concerns of veterans, and to improve the quality of life for disabled women veterans.”
Somehow, sending veterans coconut M & Ms does not address their concerns in my books.
Here are some other interesting facts:
- The only full-time employee taking a salary is the chief administrative officer, which in 2010 was $55, 884. One part-time secretary took home $6005. Both positions were instituted in 2010.
- None of the officers took any pay.
- Most of its grants and allocations were non-cash goods: shelter and relief supplies, wellness vitamins, medical supplies, legal services, food, clothing, water, hygiene and personal health products.
- The organization did give away $209,865 in cash grants to four nonprofit groups, the largest of which was $105,000 to Disabled Veterans’ Life Memorial Foundation in Del Ray, FL. to build a memorial.
- Fundraising expenses went to two marketing companies that managed its direct mail marketing programs and offered consulting. Total in 2010: $18,566,485.
- Total direct mail, communications, and contract labor expenses came to: $25,486,789. This does not include advertising and promotion and other expenses.
- IT expenses totaled $400,188.
Where Did Disabled Veterans National Foundation Funds Go? (Nonprofit Quarterly)Connect with me!